DIY: KA-POW! Sequin Sweater – Operation Overhaul
Outfits

DIY: KA-POW! Sequin Sweater

February 22, 2013

Operation Overhaul - Juu Kapow Sequin Sweater 3

Operation Overhaul - Kapow Sequin Sweater Detail

My KA-POW! Sequin Sweater

I’ve long wanted to try out this sequin sweatshirt tutorial after seeing how awesome/professional it looks. And because I do crazy things like that, I ended up sewing the entire design by hand… one by one. My KA-POW! sweater :)

It’s quite hard to ignore the comic effect trend now that it’s popping out at you all over — High street brands such as Zara and Topshop have incorporated the easily recognisable action signs into many of their apparels this season. Here are a few…

Comic Effect

1. Comic Pop Art Sweat from Topshop.com, SGD 69.00
2. Models Own WAH Nail Transfers – POW from ASOS.com, SGD 15.39
3. Whop Velour Sweater from Zara, SGD 49.90
4. Markus Lupfer KA-POW Sequin Sweater from ASOS.com, SGD 534.97
5. Pow! Printed T-shirt from Pull & Bear, SGD 49.90
6. AMBUSH Gold/Black POW! Ring from Hypebeast, 157USD
7. Jeffrey Campbell The Wordz Sneaker in Black Red and White Patent from Karmaloop, 145 USD
8. Smack Knit Sweater from Nasty Gal, 58USD

Note: This isn’t entirely a tutorial because I don’t recommend or expect anyone to sew on the sequins one by one. However, I did take process shots along the way and they’ll be in this entry!

I decided to sew the sequins on a Topshop Grey Sweatshirt I got from the local stores (39SGD). It started out looking like this..

Topshop Grey Sweat

Operation Overhaul - Kapow Sweater 1

Operation Overhaul - Kapow Sweater 2

Operation Overhaul - Kapow Sweater 3

Operation Overhaul - Kapow Sweater 4

Operation Overhaul - Kapow Sequin Sweater Detail 2

Operation Overhaul - Juu Kapow Sequin Sweater 1

Operation Overhaul - Juu Kapow Sequin Sweater 2

I can’t deny the entire project took me the longest time ever, with me sewing on sequins for sessions as long as 9 hours at one go on one night, from 10pm – 7am. I’d say I took a total of 30-40ish hours? So proud and glad that it’s completed though! Now… What am I going to do when I’m old?

Now that that’s done, I would actually like to know.. Would you embark on a project like that?

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Reply Delfien - Operation DIY February 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Wa-hauw!

• Reply Juu Y. February 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm

HIIIIIAKKK!!! Thanks for popping by! Love that we both have the same word in our names and lovely content on your blog!! x

• Reply Joanne-Marie February 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

WOW, Girl, that’s some CRAZY sewing and sequin action there! It’s AWESOME! *respect*

• Reply Sarah February 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

I can’t honestly say that I would ever do something like this. I really admire you for being able to do it. I would have had a tantrum somewhere in the middle :P It looks incredible!

• Reply Pops De Milk March 3, 2013 at 2:40 am

Oh WOW! That is amazing and super impressive. Really admire your dedication and talent!

• Reply Amanda March 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I’m definitely going to try this for a Marc Jacobs sequined Mickey Mouse sweatshirt! Thank you for the inspiration

• Reply Ros C. March 11, 2013 at 10:59 am

Sweet! Have fun doing your sweatshirt :)

• Reply Sylvia April 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

OMG!! You just made me sooo happy. I’m so glad to see my tutorial was helpful. Your sweatshirt is awesomeee, it looks exactly like the real from Markus Lupfer. I love it! You are a great DIYer ;)

Kisses from Barcelona

• Reply zen September 28, 2014 at 6:33 am

Cant believe you sewed.it all on! Def a no for me :) i like my tutorials quick and easy :)

• Reply DIY sweat - Des mots doux sur ton poitrail - Chez Lisette November 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm

[…] est tellement trop cool. Côté paillettes, il y a également le très impressionnant DIY sweat de Juu d’Operation Overhaul…qui lui a pris plus de 30 heures. Mais qui est canon de chez […]