DIY Tutorial: Lana Del Rey Inspired Floral Headband – Operation Overhaul
Tutorials

DIY Tutorial: Lana Del Rey Inspired Floral Headband

September 17, 2012

You’ve gotta admit its everywhere. First seen on Lana Del Rey, the extravagant headpieces have been seen on so many editorials and blogs worldwide. We decided we want some of our own, so here’s the tutorial.

Firstly, the materials you need before you get started.

• Hairband/Headband/Wire
  • A variety of artificial flowers (Range from $3.90 – $12.90 from Exim Arts)
  • Shears/Wire cutter (not pictured)
  • Glue Gun (not pictured)

I made two variations of the floral headband — one using a normal black hairband from Sinma ($1.90) and another with the green wire used in floral arrangement ($2 from Art Friend). I also bought all my artificial flowers from Exim Arts (very helpful staff who would help you match your flowers if you like) but other places which carry artificial flowers are Ikea, Art Friend, NTUC and your usual florist.

A bunch of artificial flowers should look like this above. I used about 1.5 bunches for each headband.

Step 1. Using the shears/ wire cutter, cut off every branch from the main stem. We want every flower to be individual pieces we can play around with.

Step 2. Remove each “component” of each branch. You will realise that the flower and leaves are all separate pieces. Arrange them as you like and trim the stem as short as possible.

Step 3. Using a glue gun, attach the base of the flower to your headband. This might be a good time to line the table.

Step 4. Keep going! I found it useful to sometimes wait for the glue to dry and try on the headband to see where the other flowers should go. I wanted the flowers to taper down the sides so I started putting lesser flowers as I reached the bottom.

Step 5. And you’re done! Feel free to experiment with different types of flowers and colours. If your glue gun isn’t the heavy duty type, it might even be possible for you to “pluck out” and rearrange the flowers you stuck on. Have fun!

I also made another flower wreath headband because I saw these flowers that look so… dead and from the wild. This was simply made by making a circle with the green wire around my head, then coiling the individual flowers and leaves on. Sooo easy!

Upon seeing both, which do you prefer? :)

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply Vivian September 19, 2012 at 12:35 am

Love the second one for its wild look.
    Btw your blonde hair color is amazing! Mind sharing how you got it to that shade?

• Reply Juu Y. September 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hi Vivian! I actually meant for my hair to be another colour, but fell in love with how it looked after 2 bleaches so I’m keeping it as that for a while! :) tyvm for your kind words!

• Reply FloristSingapore September 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

this is lovely flowers and looks great.

• Reply Nataly Carbonell February 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Oh this is so cool! Thanks so much for sharing! love it~!

• Reply Ros C. February 5, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Nataly! Glad you liked it :)

• Reply Amelia February 16, 2013 at 10:22 am

Love love love the first style but do you attatch the flowers on top or underneath the headband?

• Reply Juu Y. February 16, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Hi Amelia. The flowers are stuck on top of the headband like you would with a ribbon! :) Hope this helps!

• Reply Nash Khan February 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm

So pretty! <3

• Reply pywacket June 1, 2013 at 5:53 am

Loved tutorial, thank you very much as I’ve been wondering how to do this? How short should you cut the wire to the first headband? What kind of glue gun should i buy? Do the flowers stay on? We have Micheals and AC Moores here in Massachusetts. Beautiful flowers but, that wire stem hard to cut. I bought this jewel it glue it’s o.k., but do you think a glue gun would be better?
    Thanks

• Reply Juu Y. June 3, 2013 at 2:16 am

Hi! You could either coil the wire around the headband, but using a glue gun to glue the short stems/ base of the flower to the headband would definitely be more comfortable. None of the flowers have dropped off yet so I’d say it’s quite durable! Also, you could possibly use garden shears or hardware clippers to cut the wire stem. I found one at home/ hardware store. Good luck!

• Reply 15 idejas k?z?m | Kristijas pasaule April 30, 2014 at 10:25 pm

[…] 14.  DIY TUTORIAL: LANA DEL REY INSPIRED FLORAL HEADBAND […]

• Reply zen September 28, 2014 at 6:42 am

Didnt realise they were inspired by lana del ray, now I know! :)

• Reply The Best Flower Crown Tutorials April 3, 2015 at 11:22 pm

[…] 5. Operation Overhaul […]

• Reply 33 Super Fun Glue Gun Crafts - DIY Projects for Teens November 30, 2016 at 4:13 am

[…] operationoverhaul […]