With one yard of pleather from Chinatown (~ SGD$14), both Juu and Ros set out to make their own leather totes which they would use on a regular basis. Here’s Juu’s rendition — Inspired by the calfskin shopping totes from Maison Martin Margiela.
- Leather (or any other fabric you prefer)
- Scissors/Craft cutter
- Measuring tape/ long ruler
- Fabric Pen (not pictured)
- Grocery Bag
Length = 2 x 12″ (width) + 4 x 2″ (handle width) = 43″
Height = 21″ (height of bag + handle drop)
3. Lay the piece flat on a table and push the sewn side inwards as shown. Make sure that both sides are folded in to the desired width of the handle you want to achieve. Pin it down and repeat to the other side.
6. Should you try and carry the bag now, you’ll find that there are no “holes” for the handles. Snip downwards as in the picture (for the side without the seam) to create the armholes for the handles.
I took my bag for a spin while meeting my friend in town for waffles and it fits just everything I need! I specifically had it sized to be able to contain at least A4 papers so I can use it for school as well. Yay to reusable pleather shopping totes! Hope you’ve liked this tutorial! We’ll love to hear from you! xxPin It